Count down to Due date of my Second Blessing

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Traditional Malli Masala Powder (Corriander Masala Powder)

Malli Masala Powder
This is the basic Masala powder used in most of the households in my native place (Puliangudi) and sorrounding areas. I have never made this masala having the good fortune to have my Mother or my Mother in law always send enough quantity to tide over through somebody or the other coming to UAE. But I had noted down the proportions when newly married so that it will be of use just in case. The Corriander seeds have to be ground really finely. I have heard that it is passed though the mill two time to ensure fine powder.

This powder is used in everything, sambhar, veg curries, nonveg curries except rasams. Well here goes the ingredients list.

Corriander Seeds - 1 Kg
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) - 100 g
Sonf Seeds (Sombu) - 100 g
Turmeric Pieces - 100 g

Clean Well and dry thoroughly under the sun. Powder fine.Seive and store in air tight dabbas. When we were in Bangalore, we did not have a ready supply and we had to prepare this at home. When the weather was very wet and cold, I remember my Mother used to lightly roast everything till hot, allow to cool and then send to the mill for powdering. I used to pound the manjal into small bits in the ural with the olakkai.

We can substitute this in the recipes as follows -
2 heaped tbsp of Malli Masala = 2 level tbsp of corriander powder + 0.5 tsp jeera powder + 0.5 tsp of turmeric powder + 0.25 tsp of sonf powder or use sonf for the tempering.

There was a masala powder called Madras Curry Masala Powder in Green tins available in Lulu Hypermarket here in UAE which came close to the Malli Masala Powder prepared in my Native Place.

அட கொடுமையே தமிழ் எழுத தெரியாமலே தமிழ் எழுதிகிறேன் பிளாக்கர் வாழ்க I pressed the transliterate button and see what happened. Wow. Please be patient with me I am going to try again . இந்த நாள் வரை எனக்கு இந்த மசாலா தயார் செய்த என் அம்மாவுக்கும், என் மாமிக்கும் நன்றி .

Because I always lived outside Tamil Nadu, I had to learn to read tamil by myself using self help books, I can write but I always mix up the nas and las. This is great.

Fathima 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...